- The given nickel solution is made up to 100mL in a standard measuring flask.
- 20 mL of solution is pipetted into a 250 mL beaker.
- About 5 mL 1:1 HCl is added and diluted to 150 mL.
- The solution is heated to 70-80°C. 25 mL of 1% dimethyl glyoxime in alcohol is added, immediately followed by dilute ammonia solution drop wise until it strongly smells of ammonia.
- The solution containing the precipitate is heated in a water bath for 30 minutes.
- The precipitate is allowed to stand for an hour.
- Filter the solution through a previously weighed sintered glass crucible.
- The precipitate is washed with cold water to free chloride.
- The crucible is placed in a dry 100 mL beaker and heated in the air oven at 110-120°C for 1 hour.
- It is cooled in a desiccator and weighed. Repeat drying until constant weight is obtained.
Mass of sintered glass crucible = a g.
Mass of sintered glass crucible + nickel complex = b g.
Mass of dimethyl glyoxime nickel complex = (b-a) g.
288.69 of nickel complex contain 58.69 g of nickel.
Mass of nickel in (b-a) g of complex .
Therefore, Mass of nickel in the whole of the given solution .