- Goldman, DE. Potential, impedance, and rectification in membranes. J Gen Physiol 27,37–60,1943.
- Hodgkin, A.L. & Huxley, A.F. (1952a). Currents carried by the sodium and potassium ion through the membrane of the giant axon of Loligo. J. Physiol. 116(4): 449-472.
- Hodgkin, A.L. & Huxley, A.F. (1952c). The dual effect of membrane potential on sodium conductance in the giant axon of Loligo. J. Physiol. 116(4): 497-506.
- Hodgkin, AL, Katz, B. The effect of sodium ions on the electrical activity of the giant axon of the squid. J Physiol (Lond) 108,37–77,1949.
- Hodgkin, A.L. & Huxley, A.F. (1952e). Propagation of electrical signals along giant nerve fibers. Proc R Soc Lond B Biol Sci. 140(899): 177-183.
- Nernst, W. On the kinetics of substances in solution. Z Physik Chem. 2,613-622, 634-637,1979.
- Kandel,ER.,J.H.Schwartz and T.M.Jessell.Principles of neural science,4thEd. McGraw-Hill Companies, Inc , New York, 2000.
- Resting Potentials and Action Potentials - http://neuroscience.uth.tmc.edu/s1/i1-1.html
- Resting Potential - http://www.miracosta.edu/home/sfoster/neurons/rest.htm
- Ion Pumps and Channels Generate Resting and Action Potentials - http://bcs.whfreeman.com/thelifewire/content/chp44/4402001.html
- Animation of a portion of a cell showing the resting potential - http://intro.bio.umb.edu/111-112/112s99Lect/neuro_anims/restingpotential.html