1. After reading the Theory material and completing the Self Evaluation, click on the RTlink.
2. Click the “Start” button.
3. To charge the battery, click “Charge”. Observe the voltage, current, and power.
4. Then discharge the battery by clicking “Discharge”. Again, observe the voltage, current, and power.
5. Click Export to export the data to a spreadsheet program. Export the data to Microsoft Excel / LibreOffice / OpenSpreadsheet or a similar program. The data is exported as a Comma Separated Variable (CSV) file.
6. In the spreadsheet software, create a new empty column. In this column, multiply the power values by the “Delta t” time stamp to obtain the energy segments.
7. Add up the sum of the energy segments during the charging period and the discharge period to get the total energy charged into the battery and discharged from the battery. Compare this number to the capacity of the battery.
8. On the same graph, Plot the graph of current vs. time, voltage vs. time, power vs. time, and energy vs. time. What conclusions can you draw from these graphs about the charging and discharging characteristics of a Lithium polymer battery?