A horizontal axis wind turbine has been installed in a laboratory setting. The wind is created artificially by a large 3 HP blower fan (approximately 1 meter in diameter), which can be remotely triggered. The user will then be able to see the wind turbine operating through the IP camera. The user will then be able to control the fan and measure the operational parameters of the wind turbine. From this information, the coefficient of performance can be determined.
- Go to the "RT" tab in this experiment.
- Click the "start" button to start the experiment.
- Initially the "Wind speed " slider is at 9 m/s.
- Wait until the Power is plotted on the graph corresponding to the wind speed( ie. 9m/sec).(it takes about 1:30 minutes to get the point ploted on the graph which is the time taken by the turbine to attain its highest speed)
- After that, using the "Wind speed" slider, set a lower wind speed in m/sec, say 8m/sec.
- Wait until the Power is plotted on the graph corresponding to the wind speed.(it takes about 30sec by the turbine to attain rpm corresponding to the changed wind speed)
- Repeat the Step 5 and 6 for different wind speed and observe the changes in the graph.
- Click "Stop button to stop to experiment.
- Click "Export" button to export the data for further studies.