- When a mixture of o-nitro phenol and p-nitro phenol is subjected to steam distillation, the ortho isomer distills at 930C but the para isomer does not. Explain it.
- For what reason compounds which boiling below 1000C are not subjected to steam distillation?
- Consider a liquid X of molar mass 98g/mol distills in steam. At the boiling point, the partial pressures of two liquids X & water are 5.32×103Nm-2 and 9.44×104Nm-2 respectively. Calculate the percentage by mass of X in the distillate?
- During the process of steam distillation steam is generated outside the flask which contain the mixture to be distilled and not inside it. Explain why?
- Briefly explain the advantages and disadvantages of Steam distillation as a method of purification?
Cite this Simulator: